To clear DNS cache on macOS systems, follow the steps below.
MacOS 10.15: Catalina
To flush the local DNS cache
on macOS Catalina, follow the following steps.
- Open Terminal (Application › Utilities › Terminal or press CMD+SPACEBAR and Type in ‘Terminal’ then select the black Terminal app in the list)
- When Terminal Starts type: ‘sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder’ and press Enter to run the command.
- Enter your password (the password usually doesn’t show in Terminal but press enter when you’ve entered the password) which is required because you ran the command using ‘sudo ‘
- Press Enter. Close the Terminal.
- That’s it! Your local DNS cache in macOS Catalina should have been cleared!